Wednesday 27 April 2011

Music for the soul

No matter what certain people say, fly-fishing is not the only good thing for the soul in the world. Let’s say that on a scale from 1 to 10, fly-fishing is 11. But for me, music, is at least 10 as well.
When I’m fishing though, the last thing on my mind is music, because the sound of nature is the best soundtrack at that moment. But any other time, I barely do anything without music.
Whether it’s Billie Holliday to wake up and check my mail, or Metallica to drive my car (although it’s Booker T and the MG’s at the moment), Rage Against The Machine to clean up the place, Marvin Gaye while I’m cooking (I can’t help it, I like to sing when I’m fixing a meal), or some old school reggae like Burning Spear to take a shower (an early Miles Davis works great too).
I pretty much described my day here, except for one thing.
Tonight I went to the third concert in 12 days, and each of them was memorable. Three different styles of music on three different locations, but I left three times with a big smile on my face.

 
The first was the “Boban I Marko Markovic Orkestar”, which was a genuine Balkan party.


This is Marko playing his trumpet like an AK47.











 


The second was “Intergalactic Lovers”, the new stars in the Belgian rock scene.


This is Lara Chedraoui, the girl behind it all.










 


And last but not least, tonight we went just across the border to France (which is only a 45 minute drive) to see James Blake.
Some call him a prophet in today’s music, others say it’s just a hype, but I can guarantee you that I saw an artist at work that is certainly worth following the next couple of years, because this kind of talent is very rare. The combination of very slow and very low beats that make your trousers look like your national flag in a tornado, in combination with a 60’s golden soul voice is unseen before, and a joy to witness.





And thanks to my good friend Ruth for taking these pictures, all the laughs and great moments!

No comments: