Wednesday 4 April 2012

Restocking pike


From now on, I can call myself a proud new member of ‘The Hawthorn Fly Fishing & Fly Tying Club Belgium’. And my first time on the club water, was to work, well,... if you can call it work anyway, I just had a great time.

 


Because this gentleman delivered a nice quantity of pike.








 




I had the honour of releasing the first one (this is one of the smaller fish).





 






They are all between 1 and 3 kg (but they will grow!).




 








Then we did a tour on the lake to release them.



 









And a nice lake it is. 9 hectare with a depth of 9 m, reserved for 30 members maximum.


It’s stocked mainly with rainbow trout, but there’s also pike, zander and perch. So once we’re back from Ireland, this will be the place I’ll spend most of my fishing time.

 


You don’t get to be a member so easily. For example, you need a godfather to introduce you.

So I proudly present my godfather, Phillippe (aka the Grey Piker). You see him here testing my new Pikesaber (which he approved).

I’m very happy that I could enter this club, because the water is only at a 30 min drive from my house, it’s beautiful and quiet, and it’s loaded with fish. So you can expect a lot more posts from this location…





4 comments:

e.m.b. said...

Fantastic! And what a great way to begin your time on the water there...by putting in some new life. Can't wait to see the future posts from this lake. Just think, perhaps one day you will catch that little one you just stocked, grown up!

Stealth said...

That place looks great. I'd spend a lot of my time there too. I guess zander are what we call walleye in the states?

the lonsome piker said...

Hello Erin. Yes it felt good to put the pike in the lake, and I sure hope to catch a couple of them when they’re grown up (I will certainly try!)

Hello Stealth. Zander or pikeperch as we also call It, is the European variant. Walleye is the American variant, but they’re very closely related.

David Romanillos said...

Hello Stefaan, you are lucky, this is a wonder place to fly fishing.
Greetings