Friday 28 January 2011

The ‘Lonesome Tom’

 

Since I’ve tied two more colour combinations of yesterdays pattern, I had to come up with a name again. And again I’ve found my inspiration in the music I was listening to.

This might be the perfect opportunity to share another passion in my life. For me, listening to music and tying flies is a combination that gets me in a sort of healthy trance (I think that if the roof blew off, I wouldn’t even notice it).

This time I was listening to Tom Waits, and therefore I called it a 'Lonesome Tom’.











If you want to tie a head like this yourself (which is the head of a Bullhead basically), you can find a great tutorial by Dave Lindsay on his new website http://www.spanglefish.com/tyingpredatorflies (and loads of other interesting stuff on predator fly tying as well).









And for those who are interested, this was the music I was listening to.
I particularly like the seventies period of Tom Waits. He recorded some great music back then, and the two albums that I prefer the most are these:


 












            ‘Closing Time’                                                   and ‘Blue Valentine’

He is on the top of my list of artists that I would like the see live, but until this day, I’ve never had the opportunity (he’s an odd fellow when it comes to concerts).

I named the ‘Lonesome Dee’ after David Eugene Edwards, from Woven Hand.
Actually, I like all of their albums, but the two that really stick out (for me) are:

 












              ‘Blush Music’                                                        and ‘Mosaic’

They are also a fantastic live band. I‘ve seen them a few times, and if you want to see a man with charisma dripping from the stage, go check them out yourself if you got the chance!