Thursday 13 October 2011

The birth of the ‘Jerk Tom’


I’ve put my latest flies to an extensive test yesterday, no pike caught though (Belgium isn’t exactly ‘pike paradise’). And the action in the water is just fantastic. If you use short fast retrieves, this fly just swings from left to right like a genuine jerkbait, but it has the advantage that when you stop retrieving, it slides slowly downwards (which a real jerkbait will never do with such elegance, if they even do it at all).

And since this fly is based on a ‘Lonesome Tom’ pattern,
I will simply call this one a ‘Jerk Tom’.

Here are two more in chartreuse…


2 comments:

e.m.b. said...

I adore the chartreuse and bet it does look brilliant in the water! The pike here seem to be slowing down...might have to wait to spring to try this one out! Cheers.

the lonsome piker said...

I don’t know how pike are in Colorado, but over here, the colder it gets, the better they bite, so don’t give up yet!