Wind, rain and heavy hailstorms, so an ideal moment to get behind the vise. And I spent quite a few hours behind my vise today.
First I had to finish this order of baitfish patterns.
Then I wanted to make a bigger version of a ‘Lonesome Tom’ pattern, but since I’ve made so many brass wire dubbing brushes lately, I was really in the mood to tie something different. So I changed my mind along the way.
I wanted to tie three like this, with a length of about 20 cm (instead of the usual 14 cm).
But, with these two, I made a collar of white and chartreuse artic fox (tied in) and an epoxy head (with sequins inside for the eyes).
In the next flies, I really like the colour of the rabbit zonker strips, but the hair is a lot shorter than the zonker strips that I normally use, so I tied in two of them.
And there’s something really weird with my orange bucktail, no matter how I change the light, it always looks pink on a picture (so you’ll have to take my word for it, it’s orange).
And I also wanted to tie three like this, but I changed my mind again (twice).
Here I made a collar with three dubbing loops of artic fox (yellow/black/orange) and an epoxy head.
And here with three dubbing loops of marabou.
Here, I made the tail with yellow and orange grizzly saddle hackles and tied in yellow (bottom) and orange/black/orange (top) artic fox for the collar.
I did some experiments on something new as well but I’m not yet sure where I’m going with it…