I had one of those moments that I needed to tie something with deer hair (that happens often). So I tied me some divers (or subbugs, or whatever you want to call them). Normally, when I tie these, I use a zonker strip for the tail, but today I tried something different.
This is what I'm always looking out for.
After tying everything in, comes the moment of truth: ‘the haircut’. You can never be 100% sure of what you’re going to get.
These are tied on a Gamakatsu worm 36, size 6/0, and about 20 cm long.
I did this one first.
- I tied in some yellow Chinese cock saddles (next time I won’t, because they will not do the action any good).
- some yellow flashabou.
- then, yellow bucktail around the bottom of the hook shank, and black around the top.
- some yellow grizzly schlappen feathers.
- then I made a collar from black artic fox (in a dubbing loop).
- and the head is red, yellow and black deer hair, with some epoxy eyes.
Then I made this one.
I did use the saddles again but in a different way (for more movement).
- here I used chartreuse Krystal Flash instead, but less than the flashabou.
- chartreuse bucktail around the bottom of the hook shank, and black around the top.
- some white grizzly schlappen feathers.
- black artic fox.
- and the head is chartreuse, white and black deer hair.
I didn’t put any eyes on this one, because I kind of like it as it is.